Thank you for your interest in the San Diego Ballet. Please read this ENTIRE page if you wish to make a submission or have a question regarding employment.
We understand that many people come to this page looking for employment, possibly for the first time, as a dancer, but certainly for the first time with us. As such, we hope to de-mystify the process and make it easier for everyone involved.
Hiring decisions for the upcoming season are generally made in late Spring/early Summer. The company does, on occasion, hire dancers mid-season. SDB accepts audition submissions throughout the year.
If you are interested in being considered for employment or a trainee position, please send your resume/cv (with height, weight, age, citizenship, a dance photo, a dvd or link to a video) to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
Karen Foster, General Manager
San Diego Ballet
2650 Truxtun Rd. Ste. 102
San Diego, CA 92106
“I will be in the San Diego area, can I arrange a private audition?”
- No. The San Diego Ballet does not hold private auditions.
“I will be in the San Diego area, can I take a company class as an audition?”
- Due to current Covid concerns, this option is not currently available.
“What should my video include?”
Video Do’s –
- Video content should be CURRENT (less than two years old).
- Your features should be easily visible.
- You should show a SHORT demonstration of centerwork. Pirouettes. Adagio (highlighting extension and placement). Petite allegro (including beats). A large jump combination from the corner. You may also use ballet variations to show off the stated technique.
- Ladies should be wearing pointe shoes for the centerwork.
- If possible, men should show some simple partnering work.
- As SDB also does contemporary work, you may chose to include an additional contemporary variation. If this is the case, please make sure that it shows off contemporary (Graham, Horton, etc) techniques.
Video Don’t’s –
- Do not send in a video that does not represent you at your current level of fitness. An inaccurate video representation will be looked at as a negative and could lead to loss of your employment opportunity.
- Do not wear body concealing costumes. This includes romantic tutus.
- Do not send in a video that has one piece of music overlaid over various dance highlights. We want to see how you react to music.
- Do not send in performance video where you are dancing as part of a group.
- Do NOT send a video that is longer than 5 minutes. We will not watch it in its entirety.
Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.